Friday, March 7, 2014

Knock-Off DIY for When Pigs Fly

This little piggy went to market. This little stayed home. This little piggy had roast beef. This little piggy had none. And this little piggy went "wee wee wee" all the way home.

A few months ago, I fell in love with this little piggy I saw on Joss & Main. Apparently this little piggy has a cheap Kato.

 He was like $30 for a figurine, so I hesitated, the event ended, and I've regretted it ever since. I've searched all J&M's events since and looked for knock-offs at all the usual places (Target, Pier 1, Home Goods). I even found one at Home Goods but he was an intolerable lime green so I passed him by a second time.

Then, at Garden Ridge, I stumbled across this tacky little guy:


He looks like he belongs in a mid-western grandma's kitchen somewhere. So cute. So sad.

Then I painted him pink! Maybe that should make him a her, but not to me.


I know, he's not quite as rich as the glazed ceramic version above, but he was only $7 and he's mine.

I know this post says DIY, but it really doesn't warrant step-by-step directions. Consider this more of an inspirational post. Literally, I painted him (took a solid three coats) then two coats of poly; I didn't even sand him. Luckily the craft paint dries super fast, so the whole thing took about an hour including dry time.

Right now he lives on the entertainment center in the living room, but someday I think this would be a precious whimsical addition to a baby girl nursery.

I don't care if you think my piggy is tacky. If you don't want to DIY him, just let this be a lesson to you: don't let flash sales pass.

Now we only need a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment